Tuesday 29 December 2015

This Year's Nativity Scene

A short post today to share the nativity scene I built this year.

 
As usual I did not paint the planned Alp landscape background (which is called "Hald" (from "heap") in Ebensee, from where this specific nativity scene tradition originates) this autumn and knowing that I very likely would not paint it for next Christmas (or the one after that) either (as landscape painting isn't up my alley at all) I had a sudden lightbulb moment born out of utter despair: I could use one of my photographs I have taken this summer when hiking the Krippenstein to take a look at the marvellous Dachstein glacier from there!!



The more I thought about doing this the better I liked this idea. It would kind of transfer a very old and loved tradition from centuries ago into the 21st century - a contemporary "interpretation" so to say! Yessss!


This is one of the images that made it into the finals...but in the end I decided to go for a background that looked more "close" to the scene with all the children, shepherds, animals and other characters ...




Of course I was too late with getting my printed photo-canvas in time so I could already have it for Christmas eve, but it arrived today and I am more than just pleased with how it turned out! Yay!



I will have to get a bigger base of course for the scene to match the size of the canvas...but that is a lot less "scary" than imagining myself painting a mountain landscape. But then it will always be a work-in-progress project as there will new characters and animals be added and maybe new pieces of bark, new rocks,... just as it is meant to be.

Wishes!
Claudia
xxx

3 comments:

  1. Traumhafte Alpenlandschaften, super gelungenes Foto! und die Figuren sind alle sehr ausdrucksstark, wunderschön das Träumerle und die 3er Gruppe auf dem Fels und das Wurzelholz mit der Eule (Rosalie war es nicht ;-) Malwine?) war schon ein Volltreffer und braucht Gesellschaft :-)LG Kerstin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING, Claudia!! This Nativity scene is spectacular and so pretty! Your close-up shots of the figurines and the backdrop of those gorgeous mountains--just WOW!! Such a lovely display to honor the birth of Our Lord and Savior, just so lovely! Happy New Years to You and Your Family, Claudia!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant and such a creative way to showcase a photo you took personally. Awesome sauce! Merry Chrismtas and Happy New Year dearie! Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx